Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa

 
When will I feel proud for Malaysian movie? I don't know when, but I have to say that I'm a bit proud of this movie Hikayat merong Mahawangsa directed by Yusry KRU base on a legend of Merong Mahawangsa.
 
It wasn't that good, not that bad, it's just OK. There are still lots of flaws in this movie, to be fair I will give Yusry 2 thumbs up for trying. At least we have KRU to bring in higher technology for Malaysian film industry and they do have high ambitions.
 
For me, the casting for main character was a bit sad. The characters and persons in this film that make me stay watching this film till the end was Merong himself acted by Stephen Rahman Hughes as well as Embok. Stephen act very well and he's the only person in this film whom I feel really serious with his character as well as Embok, a new comer in Malaysia film industry.
 

The bad acting was the Chinese Princess (Jing Lusi). She doesn't bring the princess-ness character to this movie and too stiff (I prefer Umi Aida to take her role), I think her maid Ying Ying act far better than her. Marcus, the prince of ROM is totally out. He doesn't have the Roman Prince character but he can fight very well. Another downturn for this movie casting was the Chinese admiral. He's as stiff as the princess.
 

Apart from that, I think the scripts was a bit "rojak". Watching this movie will make you confuse on what era their language is base on. I love the narrator script as it is the Malays classic language. If the script writer focus more on the classic language to all the characters it would be way better.
 
The fighting scene has improved. I love it. The only problem was KRU should higher more extras to show that Merong was a king to a group of army, not a group of kinder garden students. It makes the scene empty and very sad especially when they are on the way to attack Garuda. I don't feel that Merong was a great King at all.
 
Watch the trailer:
 
To sum up this movie, I can say:
4 stars for trying.
My Rating: 3 stars
 
star rating - 3
 
 
last but not least 5 stars for the poster!

Those unbelievers or anti Malay movie, I suggest you guys to just watch this film it's worth it. Credits to KRU effort :)

No comments:

Post a Comment